Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Canada's Got Talent, I saw it and I liked it

Having viewed just the first episode of Canada's Got Talent I was more than impressed. Canadian directed and produced shows are now on a world standard if this is any indication. Queued by the amazing host Dina Pugliese, Canada's Got Talent, easily show cases what Canada has to offer and yes, even what it doesn’t. The Chemistry between Dina and the three judges, Martin Short, Measha Brueggergosman and Stephan Moccio is both instinctive and spontaneous. CGT's editing is both seamless and fast paced. All of this gives the recipe for a fun and entertaining show. Of the show that I viewed, I was kept on the edge of my seat the entire hour. For me, the show didn't drag at all. After growing tired of the Idol shows, I was ready for something completely different.

CGT is something completely different. The judges are often in agreement with each other in determining if an act is going to move forward to the next round. A reasonable argument exists that the amiability of the judges is boring. There is another side. Talent is talent. So the fact that the judges often agree just helps instill a sense of confidence in that collectively they are able to recognize good talent. Hence, it is an awesome show, with an awesome host and with an awesome team of judges.

Ok, so you get it. I love the show. I struggled with this post for a bit as I couldn't think of really anything critically to write and I found it a refreshing change from the idols. In writing this paragraph, I am still analyzing the show in my mind. The show itself was fun, exciting and flowed seamlessly from one act to the next. In my opinion, the show is world class and deserves to be on center stage in Canada and available to any canadian who choses to view the program at the initial viewing time. As the show is on City TV, here in Eastern Canada, City TV is only available in a speciality package. On the flip side, the show is available, within twenty-four hours, of the airing time. While my criticism has little to do with the show, CGT brings to the forefront new and original talent from across the country and it would be nice to have the program more accessible to more canadians.