Monday, April 2, 2012

Spotlight on Walk off the Earth


At the time of this post, this video has already well surpassed 82 million hits. Though they don’t seem like they need my help to succeed, Walk off the Earth is the band that I am spotlighting today. As the video has already gone viral and as they have already appeared on Ellen, what is the purpose for their spotlight? Surly, a brief post in my blog of few viewers will prove inconsequential. This is very true, but as a guitarist, myself, I am amazed with what they did with that guitar and thus the reason for the spotlight.

Not only has the video gone viral, but Somebody that I used to know, a Gotye cover, made it to the top 5 on Billboard. This is truly an amazing feat, for one lady and four guys from Burlington, Ontario. Hovering over a single guitar, this quintet makes this one guitar sound like there is a full band backing up their awesome vocals.

The true test for this quintet is yet to come. There is no argument that this group has both a sound and talent, but will they crash and burn as a one hit wonder? Personally, I hope to hear more from this group, so I hope there is more to follow. While it is true that most groups make it on their own material, artists such as Elvis totally relied on the material of others for success. The next few months will be interesting to see what, if anything, is next for Walk off the Earth. Musically Connected wishes them all the best in their future projects.